First Presbyterian Church
The First Presbyterian Church of Marietta was organized in 1865 under the name of Fourth Street Presbyterian Church. It consisted of 53 members, who called the Rev. William H. Ballentine to serve as the First Pastor. The first church home was dedicated January 26, 1866. It was a one room brick building, built in three months, costing $9,000. Twenty years later a 23 foot extension was added consisting of three additional rooms and a tower.
The church continued to grow and purchased an adjoining lot. Construction of the current sanctuary commenced in 1896. It was dedicated in 1897 and the church was renamed First Presbyterian. Over the years additional construction expanded the facility to its current size. The educational wing, office area, the elevator, and the Memorial Chapel were added in 1965. A handicap entrance and accessible parking lot was added in 2014.
The church has been faithfully served by a number of ministers through the years. You can stop by and see the photographs of many of these servants at the entrance to the right of our first floor Fellowship Hall. First Presbyterian has carried out its mission to serve Marietta and the world in a variety of ways. A number of church members have served as missionaries, including the Garrisons, who are currently serving in Southeast Asia. The church planted the Pioneer Presbyterian Church in Belpre. Church members have been and continue to be active in programs that support women and children, feed the hungry, provide shelter for those without homes, and offer glory to God through their outstanding music programs.
A Hymn of Praise
On Sunday, February 15 we were blessed in our church with the premiere performance of an original musical piece, “Hymn of Praise.” This was an original composition by Bonnie Donnelly and Bill Buelow written specifically to celebrate our 150th celebration.
They graciously agreed to allow us to record the piece. View it here.