Click here to view the Presby Packet, our monthly newsletter.
As early as 1804, 35 members organized as the Presbyterian Society. It was short-lived. A second attempt was made in 1841. But it was not until 1865 that the Fourth Street Presbyterian Church was organized with 50 charter members. A church building was erected on Fourth Street and dedicated January 28, 1866. Upon outgrowing this facility, a new stone church, our present building, was built on the corner of Fourth and Wooster Streets in Marietta, Ohio and dedicated June 6, 1897.
Over the years, First Presbyterian Church grew and served the community well, especially the Sunday School program. During the years between 1916 and 1939, there was a record attendance one Sunday of 405.
In 1951, the basement, upstairs balcony and rear of the Sanctuary were remodeled. In 1957, the property of 311 Wooster Street was purchased. In 1960, Sunday School classes were held there. In 1964, 311 Wooster Street house was demolished to make room for construction of the new Christian Education Building and Memorial Chapel. In 1973, the sanctuary renovation was completed. In 1981, the 309 Wooster Street property was purchased.
In 1987 the roof was replaced, Fellowship Hall was redone, and an elevator installed to provide access for the handicapped. In 1990 our church celebrated its 125th anniversary.
As we have entered the 21st century we continue to open our church doors to community groups. Our goal is to reach out into the world speaking and living the good news of Jesus Christ that the world may know and receive the grace of God.
Copyright © First Presbyterian Church.
Fourth and Wooster Streets, Marietta, Ohio 45750
Church Office: 740-373-1800
Web Development by Kaslo Design